Wednesday, February 13, 2019

My Desire to Teach Literature :: Teaching Education Essays

My Desire to ascertain Literature A couple of months ago, out of curiosity, I engaged in a test offered by the MENSA association. Along with the I.Q. figure, I received on that point was also some two word description attempting to label my ingenious prowess. As I rec on the whole one of the words was intuitive, or some variation thereof. People with a propensity to intuitiveness generally control some sense of this. Call it intuition. As a learner I would have to say that I fall into the visual category. For an instructor to tie a mathematical formula, for example, it just does not have the impact as to actually see the process worked out on a blackboard. The alike(p) applies to a tangible object. I am able to fully grok its applications if it was placed before me, as opposed to being merely explained. I do intend to teach in the visual carriage when, at last, that role is mine. Ultimately my goal is to teach college level literature. Off pass I no okie think of a few instances where visual tools superpower be employed in this arena. Suppose I was to assign a class to read Joseph Hellers Catch 22. Clips from mike Nichols film version would give the class a firmer grasp on the insanity of war. Gustave Dores sullen and intense companion paintings to Samuel Taylor Coolidges The check of the Ancient Mariner would assist in bringing students closer to the liking and drama the poem evokes. And why stop with artistic mediums. Nature herself is the last instructor. After a reading of Emily Brontes Wuthering Heights I can see myself marching a class out into a pelting (weather permitting) and proclaiming O.K., guys. You feel those cold drops pounding you? Feel the general wildness of it all? That, my friends, is unbridled passion. That is Cathy and Heathcliff in a nutshell. Regarding the application of learning styles and learning style assessments, quite honestly, I dont know enough some it yet to make a judgment call. This is new to me and I am still learning. From what I understand of some of these issues, such as corporate learning, this is a practice that should be administered to students at a lower chump level.

No comments:

Post a Comment